Introduction: Are you tired of searching for a solution to migrate OST to Thunderbird email client? Then no worries. This blog will share the step-by-step process of how to transfer OST file into Thunderbird using the manual method and automated OST Converter Tool. Keep reading the post and choose any method that meets your needs.
Undoubtedly, Outlook is the most widely used email application available for Windows and Mac OS. It supports PST as the main data file that stores email messages, contacts, notes, calendars, and other items. However, this file only works with Windows Outlook, you cannot open or access it in any other application. Likewise, OST file is also supported by Outlook, which is an offline storage table that saves all data when the internet connection is not available.
Why do Users Need to Move OST File into Thunderbird?
- Thunderbird is a free and open-source email client which is available for Windows, Mac, and Linux.
- Mozilla Thunderbird offers a simple and easy-to-use interface that any novice can understand.
- Provides the advanced option to log in to multiple email accounts at the same time.
- Able to store and manage large mailbox data without hanging issues.
- Thunderbird comes with several advanced features so that users can smoothly manage their mailbox data.
How to Migrate OST to Thunderbird Manually?
Manually there is no direct option to transfer OST emails to the Mozilla Thunderbird application. To achieve this, you need to follow the two steps: first, convert OST to PST and then import PST to Thunderbird client.
Two Steps to import OST file in Thunderbird
- Export OST file to Outlook PST
- Import Exported File to Thunderbird
Follow the below steps to accomplish this task.
1. Steps to Export OST File to PST
- Open the Outlook application on your computer.
- Then go to File menu >> Open and Export >> Import/Export.
- Select the Export to File option and click the Next button.
- Here select Outlook Data File (.pst) and click Next.
- Select the folder you want to export from your mailbox and click the Next button.
- Finally, click on Browse to select a destination and click the “Finish” button to start the process.
2. Steps to Import Exported File into Thunderbird
- Before going further, make sure Outlook is the default program for sending and receiving email. For this click on Default Programs >> Set Default Programs and select Outlook.
- After that open Thunderbird and go to the menu option from the right-top corner.
- Click on Tools and select Import.
- Here, click on the “Mail” option and click on the “Next” button.
- Then select Outlook as the storage folder and click Next.
- Finally, click the “Finish” button to complete the migration process.
Limitations or Drawbacks of Manual Method
- No direct option is available to migrate OST to Thunderbird. Users need to complete multiple steps to complete this task.
- Properly implementing this manual approach requires technical expertise.
- High probability of data loss if something is wrong like malware or viruses, poor internet connection, etc.
Automated Way to Migrate OST File into Thunderbird Client
Email Migration Tool is the direct solution to migrate OST to Thunderbird without Outlook. This allows you to transfer all your emails contained in the OST file directly to the Thunderbird account. It does not need any external applications on the system to complete this process.
This software also offers several file formats so users can convert OST to PDF file, OST to MBOX, OST to EML, etc. Along with this, users can smoothly migrate OST email to Gmail, OST to Office 365, and many other IMAP-supported email accounts.
It supports corrupted or orphaned OST files without losing a single piece of information. With this, you can easily fix cannot open particular Outlook items when offline issue. The tool also supports OST files created by any Outlook version. Plus, the software works with all versions of Windows OS.
Now, follow these steps to open OST file in Thunderbird account in a direct manner.
Steps to Directly Migrate OST to Thunderbird Account
- Launch the OST file conversion tool and click on the Open menu.
- Click on Email Data Files and select Outlook OST file.
- Preview all your emails and select the folder to transfer.
- Apply filters if you want to export only selective emails.
- Click on the Export then choose Thunderbird.
- Choose Thunderbird profile and click on the Save button.
That’s it! This is how you can migrate OST to Thunderbird along with attachments in few easy steps.
In the blog above, we have mentioned the two popular methods i.e. manual and automated methods to export OST file into Thunderbird. There are some limitations to the manual method. However, you can use the automated tool to migrate OST to Thunderbird account directly. The recommended email converter tool has no limitations and offers a simple interface that any beginner can understand. It is also free to download for any version of Windows. So, choose any method according to your needs and open OST file in Thunderbird email client.